You do not have to look long and hard to hear about the movement to begin a rooftop garden project on buildings that have a flat roof. In fact, around the world, there are cities that are actually mandating green space minimums for flat roof structures. It makes sense that you might be wondering if the flat roof on your commercial building could be utilized in this way and what benefits you might enjoy in doing so. Here are a few things to think about:
- Is there enough structural strength to support a rooftop garden? If not, would it be financially feasible or even possible to modify the building to accommodate the added weight?
- Is your flat roof in good condition or would you need to have it replaced first?
- Are there any code regulations related to rooftop gardens where you are located?
- Could you save enough money on cooling costs to warrant the investment?
- Do you have a plan in place to care for a rooftop garden, including labor and other costs?
While we don’t imagine that Jacksonville, Florida is going to become one of those areas that require a rooftop garden anytime soon, it is not beyond the scope of possibility that more commercial building owners will start thinking in this direction. At Jacksonville Roofing USA, we are happy to assess your building’s flat roof and let you know what condition it is in should you be considering going this route. Of course, a regular inspection isn’t a bad idea even if you aren’t! Contact us today to learn more about our flat roof services.